Subject: Re: RE: Sparks for Intel!
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 22:13:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, Jamie Krutz wrote:

> Upon what direct evidence to you base the conjecture that there are 
> 10 people running LW on Intel clones for every one on Amigas right 
> now? 

No, I wasn't talking about "right now"...more along the lines of what 
will most likely happen over the next 6 months.  At least 3-5 new 
LightWave users subscribe to this EVERY DAY and I would be very surprised 
to find out that the majority of them are not PC owners.

There are just a hell of a lot more PCs out there, and so, there will be 
many more people interested in running LightWave on their PC.  "Right 
Now", I'm fairly certain that the Amiga still has a slight advantage in 
number of LightWave users, but that won't last.

> Is it that difficult to recompile an already designed plug-in for the _same 
> program_ that's already running on the various operating systems? 
> Something's a bit wrong with the whole multiplatform approach of LW 
> if that's true.

I'm not a programmer, so I wouldn't know, but I'd doubt if it's as easy 
as just running the source through a different compiler...I hope I'm 
wrong through.

> Because I use LightWave and have for a very long time, continued 
> LightWave Amiga support still means a lot to me even when I 
> consider adding other platforms.

Same here...I will still be running LightWave on my Amigas to model, set 
up scenes, and test render new stuff for the Raptor to gorge itself on.

> > and the dwindling number 
> > of (buying) Amiga users is why prices are skyrocketing for the Amiga.
> 
> What prices are those?

Okay, that wasn't a very accurate statement...I should have said that 
hardware for other computers is becoming more and more powerful while 
dropping in price....the Amiga is still a number of months (years) away 
from a significant hardware upgrade and it's way too expensive.  This is 
true for a lot of other Amiga hardware....try setting up an Ethernet 
network on your machines.

Software for the Amiga is a different story....Amiga programs have always 
been inexpensive and this was one of the things that made the Amiga 
great, but it's also one of the things that killed the market so quickly. 
Companies that were making miniscule profits on their hard work to begin 
with, cut their losses and ran at the first sign of trouble from Commodore.

It's going to take a LOT of hard work on Amiga Technologies' part to undo 
the damage done in the last couple of years, but I'm certainly hoping 
that they pull off a miracle!  I still own 4 Amigas, two of them never 
get shut off, and I'd love to see some new cutting-edge hardware come out 
for them!

                                     -David Warner

--
[email-masked] sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]